A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth. Crowns restore a tooth’s shape and size, strength, and/or improve its appearance.
Crowns encase the entire visible portion of a tooth – from top of tooth to the gum line.
Why is a dental crown needed?
A dental crown may be needed to:
- protect a weak tooth (eg, from decay) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
- cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
- hold a dental bridge in place
- cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth
- cover a dental implant
- cover a tooth that has been endodontically treated (had a root canal)
Come see us for all your dental health concerns!